Monday, 20 June 2016

Bowen Treatment Today

Today I got to hover between relaxation and intense pain as I lay on the treatment table getting a Bowen treatment from Ron Hutchesson.
It was actually really good to be told and to feel that it was only taking one pressure/movement in each spot and there was an instant relaxation of the muscle that was being treated. Even my hamstrings that were so tight they were like solid rock relaxed instantly, and the relief felt across my back as everything returned to it's correct position was wonderful.

You wouldn't understand, but this isn't the normal reaction I get when i have a treatment, well the pain is always intense because the more that is wrong with you the stronger the pain is, but this can vary from person to person and the therapist adjusts so that if you can't handle a lot of pain he will make it hurt less...I've been going to Ron for many years and he knows I can handle the intense pain because of the relief it brings is totally worth it because it makes it easier for me to get around. For me what has been normal is that it often takes a few goes around one muscle area to get the relaxation, and often a follow up a week later to finish off the the treatment. Ron said that for once it just seemed to be just normal muscular stiffness and tightness because of starting back at the gym and using muscles I haven't been using in a long time. This means I'm doing something right with what I'm doing between the gym, physio, stretching and massage and that is so good to know.

This is something that excites me and makes me hopeful that I can get back to some form of normal movement and being able to push myself eventually at the gym. Yes it's early days, and no I'm not going to start pushing myself, besides I'll have Daniel cranky with me if I try and pull a stunt like that, his suggestion is staying at each stage for two weeks before increasing any weight or repetition so that we don't undo what we've gained.

Now don't get me wrong, not everything was okay, my right shoulder of course was still blah and argh, as there is still major issues with the rotator cuff, but several things did manage to give me more movement in that area but because of the swelling that is still quite bad in the bursa, it will still require more cortisone shots to help with this to hopefully get that movement back to something resembling normality.

I had originally planned on going to the gym this afternoon and sitting on the stationary bike and working on getting some kms done (I never work out or in the past played sport the same day as a Bowen treatment as the body needs the rest of the day to continue to relax so that the muscles remain in their correct position but I had thought just riding a stationary bike would be okay) but, as often is the case, the CMT part of me kicked in and made me quite exhausted (to be honest I could have crawled back into bed and slept for several hours) so I decided to give that a miss and I'll do my normal workout in the morning.



As I sit here at 2100 tonight I feel the exhaustion I get after a Bowen session really starting to kick in as my body goes into total worn out from doing nothing stage (this is a typical CMT reaction) the good thing with this is I will usually get a really good sleep when it's happening because of treatment rather than just because of my body and CMT having an argument.

Onwards and upwards tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment