Saturday, 24 September 2016

Back at the gym


It's so good to be back in the gym after having several weeks of enforced rest after I had another cortisone injection in my shoulder (so desperate to get more movement) and the first one in my right hip (anything to stop the horrible pain that is going on 24/7 on top of my normal pain)

I'm not sure I would ever have two cortisone injections done at the same time again. I don't know if it's this way for everyone or maybe it's just the way my CMT body reacts to having cortisone. This time it knocked me around for a week instead of the three days that having one has normally done.

But who cares, it's fabulous to be able to walk without constant excruciating pain in my hip with every movement, to be able to lay in bed and not be thinking up ways to cut my leg off and still get around.
I'm back to my normal manageable level of pain and I really hope it stays that way and everything continues to improve.

The one thing that has been annoying is the way my muscles now cramp all the time, well it's not really cramp, one of the lovely things CMT can do to the muscles as things stop working properly is give you delightful spasms that are similar to cramps where the muscles and sometimes the actual joints themselves lock into a position.


So the roller has become my new friend,
well to be honest, friend isn't the correct word, I'm not sure what the correct word is, when I think of it I'll let you know but it's probably in line with a few of those other four letter words.


For me it is the best thing for working on the muscles, it is so painful but it hurts less than having someone do deep tissue massage on the legs, especially as that has been known to make me cry and swear.
And even more important I don't need to rely on someone else to do this for me in the middle of the night, I can just go into the lounge room and let it begin to work it's magic.


So the roller has now become part of my daily routine, just the same as stretching and my shoulder exercises. If I keep doing it everyday, even if it's not a day with hassles, it seems to help the muscles do the right things on other days.




No comments:

Post a Comment